I've got the perfect plan... This is the greatest plaaaaaaaaaaan!
|― Charles Calvin crashing his helicopter into The Wall|
Charles Calvin, originally known as Charlie, is the deuteragonist of the Henry Stickmin series. A bold action man, he is a veteran helicopter pilot who works for the Government, and one of the youngest and most experienced pilots. Although he is an experienced pilot, Charles has a history of hilariously failing to assist Henry Stickmin, most famously when he crashes his helicopter in two fails.
Charles meets Henry for the first time after General Hubert Galeforce asks for his assistance in bringing down the notorious Toppat Clan. After completing his mission for the Government or helping Henry escape The Wall, Charles is tasked to defeat the Toppat Clan and prevent them from launching their orbital station space or demolish it otherwise.
- 1 Roles
- 2 Profile
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Killed Victims
- 5 Quotes
- 5.1 Infiltrating the Airship
- 5.2 Fleeing the Complex
- 5.3 Completing the Mission
- 6 Trivia
- 7 References
Charles is the deuteragonist of Infiltrating the Airship and Completing the Mission, and the tritagonist of Fleeing the Complex. Depending on Henry's choices, Charles can become one of Henry's best friends (if allied with the Government), a neutral ally (if Henry goes rogue), or a minor antagonist (if Henry becomes the leader of the Toppats or joins them).
In Infiltrating the Airship, Charles appears as the deuteragonist of Government Supported Private Investigator, the tritagonist of Relentless Bounty Hunter, a neutral character in Pure Blooded Thief, and the secondary antagonist of Rapidly Promoted Executive.
In Fleeing the Complex, Charles appears as the deuteragonist of International Rescue Operative.
In Completing the Mission, Charles appears as the deuteragonist of Valiant Hero and Special BROvert Ops, the tritagonist of Triple Threat and Pardoned Pals, the tetartagonist of Master Bounty Hunter, and the secondary antagonist of Toppat Recruits and Toppat 4 Life.
Throughout all his appearances, Charles wears a red headset and has red shoes. His headset suffered damage in Valiant Hero due to Charles crashing into the Toppat Orbital Station.
He has never been seen without his red headset. The headset has been shown to be a versatile communications device; able to call in reinforcements and communicate directly with phones.
Nice to meet you. Any friend of Henry's is a friend of mine!
|― Charles meeting Ellie Rose|
Charles is a young and experienced competent pilot for the Government. In the Triple Threat route, he is able to stop his chopper mid-flight so the rotor blades don't chop up Henry and Ellie as they leave the sabotaged rocket. This is an incredibly difficult maneuver to pull off and he does it easily.
Because of his abilities as a pilot, General Galeforce seems to always trust him with missions despite his history of hilariously failing to assist Henry, most famously when he crashes his helicopter in two fails. Despite his silliness and accident-prone tendencies, Charles is easily one of the more noble characters in the series, and is even willing to sacrifice himself for his allies as shown in the Valiant Hero route.
Charles has a tendency to try and make small talk and stumble his words which shows that he's more sociable than Henry and much more nonchalant about missions despite the known severity of them. He also has plenty of background knowledge on Government weapons and other such tools.
If Henry sides with the Government, Charles shows complete confidence and trust in Henry in any missions they team up in, showing how loyal he is to a close friend. He is also shown to take things literally at times, demonstrated when he shut the power off the Airship when asked, without realizing the airship needs power to fly.
Charles is also able to remain calm in stressful or dangerous situations, keeping his composure and not sounding worried. A good example of this is in the Special BROvert Ops route, where he loses control of his helicopter while trying to snipe someone, and doesn't sound panicked in the slightest while trying to regain control; Henry actually looks more worried than Charles sounds. Charles is also very optimistic as seen in the Valiant Hero ending, where he assures Henry that he will find a way out of the Toppat Orbital Station, which is about to explode.
Charles is amiable, sociable, half-witted yet intelligent, and an above average pilot who firmly sticks with his side, but does have a more open mind considering he put his faith in Henry in the Pardoned Pals route despite Henry going rogue and stealing the Romanian Ruby, and gave Henry a chance to side with him over joining the Toppats or surrendering to the Wall.
In every path where Henry is allied with the government (Government Supported Private Investigator), Henry and Charles see each other like best friends, even in paths where they don’t interact much. This especially happens in Cleaned 'em Out where the duo don't interact at all but are shown to still be friends that keep in touch. Special BROvert Ops portrays a brotherly bond between the two in how they work together and are happy to connect as they work on more missions with each other. Valiant Hero shows the very close bond that Henry and Charles share by having them really excited to work with each other again.
Even if Henry goes against the Government in the Pure Blooded Thief route, Henry is still seen as somewhat of an ally to Charles as he asks Henry to help him take down the Toppats in the TR/PP routes. This is even more emphasized at the end of Pardoned Pals when Charles refers to Henry as a "friend".
In paths where Henry is allied with the Toppat Clan, Henry and Charles don’t interact at all but they would be enemies since Henry is in the Toppat Clan.
In Pardoned Pals, Henry and Ellie team up with Charles to take down the Toppat Clan before their rocket launches. However, in Toppat Recruits, they go against him. Reginald and the Right Hand Man shoot him down, causing him to fall back.
General Hubert Galeforce
Despite both being in the military, and Hubert Galeforce being a general who takes his job seriously, the two are very friendly towards each other.
As a member of the government, Charles hates the Toppat Clan. At the start of Valiant Hero, he tells Henry that they've caused a bunch of problems for him. He then asked for Henry's help in taking them out, stating "it's starting to get personal".
As a member of the Toppat Clan, Jacked and Charles were enemies before they even met. Charles met Hughman shortly after Henry and Charles prepare for their ride back to Earth, when they are suddenly ambushed by Hughman. Henry is forced out of the escape pod, prompting Charles to tackle Hughman and throw Henry back inside. Before Charles can make it back to the pod himself, Hughman tackles him down. The pod closes with only Henry inside and launches into space for Earth, leaving Charles on the doomed space station. Before the pod takes off, Charles tells Henry not to worry about him and that he'll find another way to escape.
A worrisome Henry is contacted by Charles, who informs him that he was able to overpower and defeat Hughman and that a spare escape pod should be nearby. Stating that their mission was complete, Charles remarks that it was a good plan, probably even the greatest plan; and those were his last words before the space station explodes, and the communication is abruptly cut. Shattered at this sight, Henry screams in grief, and pounds on the pod's window, attempting to reach out to Charles, without success.
This list shows the victims Charles has killed, either directly or in first hand:
- Matthew Norbert (GSPI) (Caused)
- Benjamin Bourseious (GSPI) (Caused)
- Sten Villo (IRO)
- Kerdrew Johensen (IRO)
- The Leprechaun (VH) (Caused)
- Gremlin (VH) (Caused)
- Mr. Villain (VH) (Caused)
- Wilhelm Krieghaus (VH) (Caused)
- Jacked Hughman (VH) (Direct or Caused)
- Himself (VH) (Sacrifice)
- Several Toppat Clan Members (VH)
Infiltrating the Airship
- "Hey, uh, how do you want me to bring you in?"
Government Supported Private Investigator
- "Check check, this is Charles."
- "Just thought I'd give you a heads up."
- "Uhh, there's a guy down there. A bad guy. So, uh, yeah."
- "Good luck."
- "Hey good job there!"
- "Oh, oh, so you should probably look for something incriminating."
- "Something that we can use to prove that they're criminals, you know?"
- "I mean, that's the whole point of this operation."
- "Oh hey! Uh, you see that records sign?"
- "Where it says 'Records'?"
- "That'd probably be a good place to look, right?"
- "Let me just, uh, help you get across that gap."
- "Ok, uh, let me just teleport this thing in here for ya."
- "Alriiight, here I come~"
- "Hey, I have this thing here that can manipulate gravity."
- "Should be able to get you float across."
- "Lemme just... Wait."
- "Did it work?"
- "Alright, here it comes."
- "I don't think that guy knows how to open the door."
- "Yeah, why don't you let me take care of this?"
- "Wow, this guy really is a moron."
- "Can't believe he doesn't know how to open a door."
- "Alright, uh, I've hacked into their security system. Should be able to open the door from here."
- "Alriiiight! Get to bring out the big guns!"
- "You should be good to go now."
- "Oh man! That duck just flew right into the propeller!"
- "Oh, what a mess!"
- "Alright you got some evidence! Whoa wait, wait."
- "There's no way you're getting through there."
- "Lots of guys and there's lots of guns, that's all I'm gonna say."
- "Iiiiit looks like you could get around if you go through that air duct."
- "Alright I've hacked into their power grid. What do you want me to do?"
- "I-I don't understand what that means."
- "Mk! Shutting down the power now."
- "I'm sorry, I just thought you needed some help is all."
- "Ok I'll reroute the power to a random room. That's fine."
- "Alright Henry, you're almost there."
- "I'm right outside so just open the bay doors and I'll, uh, get you on the chopper."
- "Fire in the hole!"
- "Pssst, hey! There's a button on your earpiece. You should press it."
Rapidly Promoted Executive
- "You think they're alright? Pretty big fall."
Pure Blooded Thief
- "It looks like he set off some sort of alarm in the vault?"
- "Orders captain?"
Fleeing the Complex
- "Yeah? Oh, Henry!"
- "How's it goin'?"
- "Uh huh."
- "Uh huh."
- "Oh, I see."
- "Yeah, I'm-uh... I'm flying right now, actually."
- "Where-uh... Where are you?"
- "Hmm, The Wall..."
- "Yeah, I... think I've heard of that place."
- "Yeah, I'm-uhh-I'm on a mission, but-uhh-I should have some time to swing by."
- "Hey! So-uhh, I'm getting pretty close..."
- "Yeah, just-uhh-try to get outside and I'll-I'll-uhh... y'know."
- "Hey, so-uhh-I see The Wall."
- "Oh, you're outside? Nice!"
- "Oh, I think I see you."
- "Yeah... There's a guard in the way..."
- "I got this."
- "Yeah! It'll be like the old times."
- "I got the perfect plan..."
- "This is the greatest plaaaaaaaaaaan!"
- "Annnd there ya go."
- "I seein a helipad up here."
- "Could be a pretty good place."
- "To get picked up."
- "Uhh-once I get close, though, they'll-uhh-they'll probably raise the alarm."
- "Oh yeah, they see me."
- "Alright, I'm comin' in. Get ready."
- "Did you just jump off the edge?!"
- "Wait, was that the plan?"
- "Man, we really should have coordinated that better."
- "I mean, I was not prepared at a-"
Completing the Mission
Special BROvert Ops
- "Hey, General!"
- "What do you say, Henry?"
- "You can count on us, General."
- "Hey I know-uhh we just started and all, but-uhh I think I'm getting targeted by SAM Turret?"
- "Yeah, oh? Yeah..."
- "If you just go ahead and-uhh..."
- "Deal with that?"
- "Sooo... It kinda looks like the SAM turret's shooting all of its missiles?"
- "But that can't be right. I just wanted to make sur-"
- "I don't really know what you did, but-uhh it seemed to have done the trick! Nice!"
- "Oh, we really gotta getchu in there."
- "I should be able to get you in there with this:"
- "Okeedokee, sendin' down that jetpod."
- "Alrighty, I've-uhh teleported that platform in there for ya."
- "Yeah, go ahead and just-uhh make your way across, then."
- "Alright, Henry-uhh, go ahead and grab on to the... the thing..."
- "And then I'll... helicopter you across."
- "Oh man... Looks like every member of the Toppat Clan is on here!"
- "Umm, if you get to the engine room, you can shut down the engine..."
- "And them uh... the rocket won't be able to take off..."
- "And them... they'll all be stuck in here."
- "So I'll cause a distraction while you make a run for it to the engine room, got it?"
- "Alright, I'm-uhh about to fire a subsonic wave?"
- "Should stun everyone who hears it, so you might wanna cover your ears."
- "Alright I know they have one of this aboard, I think I can remote hack into it."
- "Yeah just-uhh keep heading up those stairs and you'll hit that engine room in no time."
- "I guess this rocket has an internal engine room?"
- "It probably like manages the... electronics? or something?"
- "I dunno. I'm hot a rocket doctor."
- "Anyways. Do your thing, buddy!"
- "This doesn't seem... right."
- "Nice. Disabling that engine is definitely gonna buy you some extra time."
- "Now, here's what I'm thinking: If you can get up to the cockpit..."
- "You can gain control of the rocket, disable it, and lock everyone inside."
- "Then I'll call in the reinforcements and w-hen... we'll make these arrests easily."
- "Pretty good plan, right?"
- "Cockpit is comin' up. You should be able to gain complete control of the rocket from there."
- "Henry? Are you in trouble?"
- "If you're in trouble, say flanksteak."
- "No wait, if you're in trouble say nothing."
- "Agh, I can't tell."
- "Oh, actually I can see you from here..."
- "Yeah, it looks pretty bad."
- "I gotcha back, buddy!"
- "One sleepyboi, coming right up."
- "I got this sniper that spots out bad guys."
- "So I'll just take him here from here. Don't worry. There's-"
- "There's zero chance that I'll hit you with this."
- "Uh oh, I'm losing control..."
- "Ohhh boy, this is bad. This is really..."
- "Ohhh... Ohh boy..."
- "Ohhh man... And I dropped my sniper rifle..."
- "Come on!"
- "Alright, I almost got control! Almost got it!"
- "Ohhh, there we go."
- "No, nope, I'm-"
- "You did it! Now you just gotta lock it up!"
- "Awrite, time to call in the reinforcements!"
- "Nice work, man!"
- "Yeah, this is-uhh this is every last remaining member getting hauled off."
- "Whaaat? Henry's not even enlisted."
- "Hey Henry! Nice to see you again. Who's your friend?"
- "Well nice to meet you. Any friend of Henry's is a friend of mine! So uh I was able to swing by to pick you guys up but uh...well you remember the captain...? Yeah he had to sanction this pickup in return we're gonna need your assistance again. With the Toppats...again...uh I hope that's alright.
- "Good. Let me fill you in on the details when we get into the air."
- "Alright so what's left of the Toppat Clan has uh..set out some sort of secret base in the jungle...seems like they're planning to launch some sort of space shuttle into orbit. They'll be sitting pretty if they pull this off so we gotta uh make sure they don't do that. I talked to the General and he said he's pulling out all our main forces. He said that Henry and I made a good team last time so he trusts that we can pull it off."
- "Then we're gonna make a great squad! With the three of us, we'll have no problems... Completing the Mission."
- "Alright we're there. I don't think I can get any closer without...getting shot down."
- "Uh oh. Sounds like they're about to takeoff. You guys should get over there right away. I'll be down to help as soon as I can."
- "Hey that looks like fun but umm...we're kind of...on the clock here."
- "You guys are still running? You know I can pick you up. Ah you're staying committed to you choice. I can respect that."
- "Alright, I'm here. Combo time!"
- "I gotcha!"
- "Eh funny story. This cannon was actually made to fire humans it's kind of weird."
- "Hold onto your butts!"
- "Direct hit! Now quick guys you've got to stop that rocket from taking off."
- "Uh guys? The rocket's launching!"
- "We've gotta do something before they get into orbit!"
- "Ok guys I have the most awesome plan. I'm gonna crash head first into the cafeteria window."
- "No no with my helicopter! What do you guys think I'm ready to-"
- "What's not to understand? It's simple: I fly the helicopter into the window."
- "Sigh. I don't really think you get it. Henry you get it right?"
- "Uhh I think it's a little bit out of range now..."
- "Alright I'll be ready. Now hurry!"
- "Alright I'm in position. I don't see you guys though..."
- "Uhuh...yeah...yeah...oh yeah...ah yeah! That's a great idea! Alright you guys do your thing I'll be ready!"
- "Ah! What a move! Can't believe we did it. Where did you end up sending the rocket anyway?"
Pardoned Pals/Toppat Recruits
- "Yeah this is Charles, following up on that disturbance we saw at the bridge. Yeah it turns out the Toppat leaders are here! Wait is that Henry? Henry? Come on help me take down the Toppats!"
- "Alright I'm coming get in!"
- "Alright I've got a plan: we've gotta shoot out these support beams. All units fall back we're going in for the big play!"
- "Yeah! Nice work both of you! This is Charles, reporting to base. I've got a couple of pals with me you're never gonna guess who they are."
- "Uh oh. I've gotta fall back..."
Master Bounty Hunter
- "We're entering Toppat airspace now. Altitude 20 000 ft, wind speed nominal. Visibility clear, stand by for drop off."
- "I hope you don't mind helping us out again. I called ahead and got the 'all clear' from the general. I'm sure you've got a lot of questions. Don't worry: he'll fill you in when you arrive. You'll be dropping in on the outskirts of the Toppat Launch site. We've also got a squad waiting for you when you arrive. Alright, time to drop."
- "We've got him! Put out the signal."
- "You know, bounty hunting really suits you. You ever thought about going pro?"
Toppat 4 Life
- "General! What's going on?!"
- "Henry? Henry! I heard you died!"
- "Uh, man. The Toppat Clan has been causing a bunch of problems for me lately. Yeah ever since they got that orbital station set up, they've been super strong. Now that I think about it, you and I made a pretty good team in the past, I bet we could take them out...it's starting to GET PERSONAL. Well what do you say? You want to help me...take them out for good?"
- "Awesome! Alright follow me I have a way we can get into space."
- "Secret government prototype what do you think? There it is. Alright, how do you want me to bring you in? This is so exciting it's just like last time!"
- "Alright I'll just swing by I guess and...drop you off?"
- "Yeah I'll just beam you right aboard. Should be a piece of cake."
- "Alright, it sounds weird but this air bubble's gonna keep you breathing until you get to the side wings alright? It's also really sturdy so you don't have to worry about it popping on you. Unfortunately, it doesn't move very fast...Don't worry I'll keep you company 'til you get there shouldn't be a problem. What kinda movies do you like?"
- "Put on this spacesuit and hide in this ball of trash. What? It's a good idea trust me!"
- "See? I told you it was a good idea! The Toppats have no clue you're there now. I'm gonna stick back here though so they don't detect me. Should still be able to help you get inside from here though."
- "This might make you a little nervous but I'm about to fire a super-accurate laser shot right next to you. It'll make a hole you can climb into and get inside, y'know?"
- "Hey you feel that button on you helmet? Go ahead and press it. It's a knife that's so hot it can cut through any material. You dropped it didn't you?"
- "You know what? Naw. This calls for some bold action. I'm the bold action MAAAAN!"
- "*coughs* I've always wanted to do that. Anyway, we should probably find a way off this station before it explodes."
- "Ah looks like the door's jammed. This is the only way through!"
- "I think I can hack this panel to get this door to open............yeah I have no idea what I'm doing."
- "One. Two. ThreeEE-Gahhh!"
- "I bet this vent leads somewhere...on the other side."
- " ♪ Crawling through the vents ♪ "
- "Oh boy, we're running out of time."
- "Got room for two more?"
- "Ahh, well that was intense. Can't wait to go ho- Huh?"
- "Don't worry about me-ow-I'll find another way."
- "Henry? You there? Man...that roughed me up. Got him though. Gotta be another escape pod around here somewhere. We did it though. We got 'em. Pretty good plan. You could say it was the greatest-"
- Puff confirmed that his name was originally going to be Charlie but accidentally changed it to Charles, which was eventually left as it is.
- Charles is the most popular character in the series, due to his comical plans to crash his vehicle into a target and his amiable personality.
- As such, the majority of YouTubers who played Completing the Mission (e.g. Markiplier) thought his death in the "Valiant Hero" route was emotional, despite Charles surviving in all the other endings.
- Compared to both Henry and Ellie whose morality are dependent on the players' choice, Charles is the only one in the main trio who's outright noble and heroic from the get-go. As such, Charles will only help out Henry in routes where he aligns with the Government.
- Charles' role is to support Henry from a safe distance in his helicopter while the latter risks his life infiltrating enemy territory, providing intel on the layout, hacking, transportation, "cover fire" and gadgets that Henry can use.
- Alongside Henry, Charles is just as susceptible to all manner of misfortune and comical deaths whenever he's trying to assist him.
- Despite being an Ace Pilot, the fails that involve him are pretty much the result of him screwing up the aviation tasks assigned to him
- Charles is not proficient with weapons and can be inaccurate at times:
- In Valiant Hero, he was unable to shoot any of the three Toppats before they were beamed into the station.
- In Government Supported Private Investigator, if asked to use a gatling gun, he unwittingly also kills Henry along with Wilhelm.
- In International Rescue Operative, when Henry demands him to snipe Sten Vilo, he wounds up hitting Henry instead.
- In Special BROvert Ops, Charles fails to snipe Sven with an iInfrared Rifle when requested by Henry, and subsequently crashes his chopper.
- Special BROvert Ops and Valiant Hero are the only pathways where Charles' shoes can be seen.
- In Infiltrating the Airship (the flash version), Charles piloted a UH-1 Iroquois. In the remaster, he uses the UH-60 Black Hawk.
- Charles only befriends Henry in Government Supported Private Investigator, though he also helps in all RBH endings due to Henry's government allegiance.
- In Completing the Mission, the Toppat King storyline pays homage to Charles with an option for Henry to crash a government-owned helicopter Charles-wise in an attempt to save Reginald Copperbottom, leading to a fail.
- Charles is referenced on the steam page for the Henry Stickmin Collection in the text that reads "Each step of the journey has you choose from options such as a Teleporter or calling in your buddy Charles to help you out.".
- Charles' last name came from some fan-fiction made by someone on Discord.
- In the same stream, Puffballs had also mentioned that Charles as well as Sven Svensson and many other characters in the Henry Stickmin Series were all 6 feet (the same height as Henry).